Monday, June 1, 2009

The Triathlon



Yesterday, I volunteered as a marshal at the Longmont Triathlon. I was the gate keeper of sorts, directing competitors from the transition area on their bikes out to the bike course and safely back in. I don't compete in triathlons, but I've found that volunteering for this one makes me marvel once again, at human spirit.

When I think of triathete I think of a muscular, taut sort of being with a sort of competitive hunger in the eye, and although there were some of these types there, they certainly weren't the majority. No, the majority was more like the guy down the block, the woman that works at that office, in short, regular people. Like a neighborhood triathlon.....with all the neighbors. I guess what keeps me coming back is the sense of accomplishment these folks derive from their efforts. It doesn't really matter if they win, most have no hopes of winning....finishing is a big deal, and when I think of it, training to finish is a big deal.

So, just being around these atheletes makes me feel really good. The optimism alone is enough to keep me going for a long time, the efforts put out by these "normal" people will give them something to be proud of for a long time, and events like this are a terrific way to build on an already strong community. Big sections of people showed up to cheer....and what a racket!. One man had a tee shirt that said "My Wife is Cool" he was followed by three boys who's shirts read "My Mom is Cool". In my mind, to volunteer at an event like this is a privledge. I have a good time interacting with all the competitors as they all have to pass my post, a little encouragement or humor goes a long way.

If you get a chance to check out something like this near where you are, do. Cheer your head off, even if the person you're cheering for doesn't know you, you can bet they appreciate it!

1 comment:

  1. Gatekeeper? Gatekeeper?! You are practicing to be a little republican, just like your little boy!

    ReplyDelete