Friday, January 15, 2010

Heart Broken

There won't be any pictures in this blog, and I know I don't blog very often. I hope that changes.
Today, I'm heart broken as I got the news this afternoon that my close friend Tony was killed while on vacation in Hawaii.
To say Tony and I were friends doesn't really do our relationship justice. I met Tony on a really difficult job in Dillon, Colorado. We lived up there thru the fall/winter/spring of 2006/07. We got to know each other really well. I am a vegetarian, bike riding/racing liberal with no discernible prejudices. Tony, a proud (and vocal) NRA member, dyed in the wool republican, did not trust government and was awash in conspiracy theory, he ate meat, loved guns and motorcycles. He walked like a gunslinger.
By the time we left Dillon, he was eating salads and I was perusing gun magazines.
Tony taught me one of the most valuable lessons I have ever learned and I loved him for it. We both TRIED to see the others point, TRIED not to step on each others toes and, as a result, respected each other well beyond any expectations. People knew we were partners. He had my back, no questions, I had his back.
In Vietnam I learned what real love is, it had nothing to do with love as we normally think of it, it has to do with trust and respect. Love between a man and woman ( or romantic partner) is one thing, but the love developed between two people based on trust and respect is different. Tony and I never talked about it. It was always there. I got calls today from people that knew Tony much longer than I did, but realized that he and I shared something different.
When I returne to work after my heart attack, Tony walked over to me, hugged me, no words, just a hug.
We talked about the stuff we do, he would ask about bike races, (being as far from his world as is possible) but he wanted to know from me what it was like, he told me about weekends in the woods on ATV's with his kids doing crazy stuff, I wanted to know what he was up to..... I guess you see the point I'm trying to make.
Tony was killed on a motorcycle riding behind his son, with his wife on the bike with him. his son saw his Dad's bike go airborne in his rear-view mirror. Tony was dead when he hit the ground. He was on vacation with the people he loved the most in a place he visited several times.
I'm so upset I don't know what to do, but you know what I'm thinking....blow something up, go way too fast, stare the bastards down, and let God sort it all out.

2 comments:

  1. NPD,

    I'm so sorry to hear about the tragedy that befell your friend. It sounds like you two were very close. Hang in there. I'm thinking of you.

    KB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, KB, it was a real hit....

    Pressing on, saw your dog trainer today....gettin' these rowdies in order!
    Hope you're feeling better.

    NPD

    ReplyDelete